Miss FAMU featured in Ebony Magazine

big rattler
0
Miss Florida A&M University 2011-2012 NaKena Cromartie featured in the September Issue of Ebony Magazine.

Cromartie (bottom right) studied accounting and recently earned her master of business administration degree from the FAMU School of Business and Industry.

When Ebony asked Cromartie to describe her most memorable contribution as a campus queen, she responded with the following statement:

As Miss FAMU, my most memorable contribution has been using my reign as a "call to service."

This has afforded me the opportunity to have first-hand involvement with local communities and my hometown through soup kitchens, shelters and local veteran's activities. I have traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana to aid in the clean up efforts that continue to this day following Hurricane Katrina.

I would be remiss if I did not highlight my contribution of the "Truly FAMU Quilt." During my campaign as Miss Florida A&M University, I wanted to offer a way for students to connect with FAMU and share their love for the institution. It was also important for me to create a way for the student body to leave something significant behind after their time on "The Hill."

Keeping those things in mind, I decided to use my talent and passion for quilting to make a quilt that all Rattlers can claim. The way it works is simple: students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of FAMU can take one quilt square and tell their FAMU story. The quilt square can be as simple as writing your name and graduation date or as elaborate as putting designs and adding different ornaments.

With the help of Rattlers, the quilt will be completed in time for FAMU's 125th anniversary celebration during Homecoming 2012, at which time it will be presented to the University and placed in care of the Black Archives Museum.
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !