FAMU presents more than $1M in scholarships to Atlanta high school students

big rattler
0

FAMU presented $1,026,584 in scholarships to Atlanta area students on Friday, Sept. 27 during its President’s Tour.

During the recruitment fair, which was held at the Hyatt Regency-Atlanta, interested students had the opportunity to meet with recruiters from various colleges, schools and departments, and receive one-on-one assistance.

“I love that FAMU came to Atlanta to recruit,” said Zakiya Abdullah, who plans to study physical therapy at FAMU next fall. “I was one of the first people at my high school to have my permission slip signed to attend the event.  I’ve heard so many great things about FAMU.”

There were performances by the theatrical company, “FAMU Connection,” and appearances by the FAMU Royal Court, presidential ambassadors and university administrators.

“I think it was great for the university to come because it made me excited to attend FAMU,” said Tiffani Terry, a senior at Carver School of the Arts. “At first, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to attend a historically black college or university. But the way the FAMU Connection performed and how the speakers discussed their involvement with the school, it inspired me. They made me really think should I go to FAMU and I could be really happy with my decision as well.”

Monique Terrell, a senior at Carver Hill Science and Research School, attended the recruitment fair last year, and she says she remember how everyone around her received scholarships and how exciting it was. This year, Terrell, who plans to major in biology or chemistry, received a $4,000 scholarship from the university.

“When I heard the announcer call my high school, I was just hoping he was going to say my name,” she said. “I’m glad FAMU came today because it gives people hope that even though we are going through difficult times, we can still rise above it and go to college.”

FAMU Interim President Larry Robinson told the potential students FAMU is like a second home, where students have the opportunity to grow inside and outside the classroom.

“At FAMU we have some of the most socially responsible students in the nation,” he told the audience. “We expect you to succeed. You are our No. 1 concern. We are here for you. The question is are you ready for the great things that happen at Florida A&M University every day? FAMU is a great place for you to embark on the next phase in your career.”

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !