Rattlers come up short against Norfolk St.

big rattler
0
By Michael Morrell
Special to FAMU Athletics
Florida A&M (26-26, 14-10 MEAC) dropped a 6-3 decision to Norfolk State (22-25, 14-10 MEAC) to end their season in an elimination game at the MEAC Tournament. Bennie Robinson extended his streak of consecutive games reaching base to 48 games. 

This is the first time FAMU finished the season with a .500 or better record since 2003, and their first tournament appearance in three years.

The Spartans move on to face the loser of today's semifinal game between defending champion Savannah State and Bethune-Cookman.

FAMU senior Bennie Robinson was named Player of the Year by the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC), which marks the first Player of the Year honor for the university’s baseball team.

“I’m glad I can represent Florida A&M and win MEAC Player of the Year,” Robinson said. “It’s a great feeling and I feel humbled, but there is still work left to do. I want to thank the coaches, Coach Shouppe, Coach Brett (Richardson), Coach KJ (Kevin Clethan) and Coach Frank (Schaeffer). I also want to thank all the guys. Without them and all their help, I wouldn’t have been able to do what I have this season. I also want to thank Florida A&M and everyone who supported me.”

Robinson, who spent time both at first base and in right field this season, finished the regular season ranked third in the MEAC with a .390 average and was above .400 for a majority of the last month. Robinson led the MEAC in hits (76) and doubles (15), second in total bases (109), fourth in RBI (38) and has currently reached base safely in 44 straight games.

“So excited for Bennie Robinson and what a great tribute to him,” Head Coach Jamey Shouppe said. “This is kind of personal for me because when I came in to do my interview for the job, Bennie was out on the field working. It’s great to see kids who work hard get acknowledged for their work ethic. He’s made himself into not only a good college player, but a good professional prospect as well. I’m anxious to see what transpires for him in the next month with professional baseball.”
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !