Cracker Barrel serves up fresh SBI scholarships

big rattler
14
For years, Cracker Barrel’s two Tallahassee locations have served up tasty pancakes, farm-raised catfish, homemade chicken n’ dumplings, and turnip greens to hungry FAMU students. Now, something else is on the menu: scholarships.

The national restaurant/country store chain will provide $30,000 over a three-year period that will fund FAMU six scholarships, annually . The money will assist School of Business and Industry students who have displayed an interest in the hospitality industry.

“Since both of my parents never completed high school, they have struggled to provide a decent standard of living for my sibling and me,” said Giles Paul, a scholarship recipient.

“As the first in my family to attend college, I am determined to work hard to achieve my goals in life,” Giles continued. “Having adequate funds is essential to the completion of my college education. The scholarship that I received from Cracker Barrel will greatly assist in furthering my studies. My parents and I are most appreciative.”

Jeremy Mounticure, another scholarship recipient and former Mr. FAMU, expressed similar excitement.

“Words cannot express how grateful I am to be a recipient of the Cracker Barrel scholarship for Spring 2009.”

Diana S. Wynne, senior vice president of Corporate Affairs for Cracker Barrel, believes that SBI’s students are a great investment.
Tags

Post a Comment

14Comments

  1. Dam right SBI students are a great investment, and Cracker Barrel getting them for cheap !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me cynical, but I'm a bit leary at accepting something from someone who openly goes by the name "C." Hey, I'm just saying. Plus, 10K ain' a whole lot of $$, but it's a good deed, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just doing some math:

    Assuming (1)the blog has the correct info, and (2)each scholarship will be distributed equally...

    $30,000/3 = $10,000 per year
    $10,000/6 = $1,666.66 per year per scholarship
    $1,666.66/2 = $833.33 per semester per scholarship

    OR, assuming (1)the blog has the correct info, and (2) using "meritorious" approach, it could be broken out:

    For each year, over three years...

    2-$2,500 Scholarships ($1,250 per semester)
    2-$1,500 Scholarships ($750 per semester)
    2-$1,000 Scholarships ($500 per semester)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean Mobley wouldn't have even come to the phone for a $30k contribution. Especially, from a company with as sullied a reputation as "Cracker Barrel".

    Might as well take $$$ from Denny's pre-settlement days.

    *SMH*

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many of you complainers ever donated $1.00 to FAMU? Thank you Cracker Barrel. You really didn't have to do this, but we appreciate your kindness. Please ignore the ungreatful zeroes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5:44 pm,

    I donated to FAMU. And, I fully agree with other posters. IMHO, this donation didn't merit a press release or a photo op.

    The donation is go. But, I hope its a starting point for a long and beneficial relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you @ 5:44p.They could have been in the paper giving FSU Business students a damn check. Then what would you have said?

    ReplyDelete
  8. 8:14 if it had been FSU, I would have said "dang, things gotta be bad when a major university is calling a press conference to announce a $10,000 gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since it seems that someone really cares what FSU does, I did a quick check on their COB website. Based on a QUICK check, the smallest I see is a $1.8M award.

    Thanks Cracker Barrel for a start. Please remember at FAMU, we believe making a start, BUT we advocate in raising the bar.

    And, yes, I do support FAMU.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ^^^

    PS, this is from the FSU College of Business web site (press release). Again, it was a quick scan, so I acknowledge in advance it is subject to error.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... In the same period, I give just about that much to my alma mater (FAMU), and I don't make no where near as much revenue as Cracker Barrel. Where's the news?

    ReplyDelete
  12. as much $$ as black folks spend eating breakfast at CB during a FAMU homecoming, CB is just "giving back" what breakfast-eaters spend in one wknd. of eating those biscuits and eggs. We oughts not be getting all excited about 10K's. Gred-day. And the dean oughts to go on somewhere and not be profiling for 10K $$.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it's a "photo shoot", you can rest assured that the Dean will be in it. However, when there's real work to be done...e.g., organizing SBI and having a plan to move forward...FORGET IT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I worked at CB while at FAMU, and I know they could've done a lot better. I saw things happening there that should have resulted in all of us getting a settlement of at least 30K each.

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !