FAMU's storied Orange Blossom Classic set to return to South Florida after 43-year hiatus

da rattler
0


FAMU head football coach Willie Simmons and Jackson State coach Deion Sanders faced the South Florida media yesterday to talk about the return of the Orange Blossom Classic football game scheduled for Sunday, September 5 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.  The OBC will be making its return after a 43-year absence and with JSU’s hiring of Sanders the game looms bigger than life.

The relaunch of the event is the brainchild of former Miami Gardens Mayor, now Miami-Dade Commissioner, Oliver Gilbert, a FAMU grad, and was originally scheduled to be restored in 2020, but plans were put on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This year’s game will mark FAMU’s debut in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, and will be the culmination of a weekend of activities for both programs intended to provide a bowl game-like atmosphere including a Battle of the Bands between FAMU’s “Marching 100” and Jackson State’s “Sonic Boom of the South.”

“I think this game is  going to be bigger than a lot of people think it’s going to be,” Sanders said. “I really do. I can feel it. I can feel it when I’m up on stage. I can feel it right now talking to you.”

“I’ve played in front of 70, 80, 90 thousand people, but not 70, 80, 90 thousand of my people,” Sanders added. “This is new to me. My people…we do this a little different when it comes to the pageantry.”

“This is an amazing day and longtime coming,” said Simmons. “When we first introduced the idea of reviving the Orange Blossom Classic, our hair stood up on the back of our necks. We all understand how important this game is, not only to the city of Miami Gardens, but to Florida A&M. I have a very strong feeling that the Black College National Champion may be decided from this game.”


“It’s going to be an all hands on deck approach,” said Simmons.

Tickets for the game went on sale earlier this week.  Hard Rock Stadium will allow 100 percent capacity for the game.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !