Mitzi Miller tells students to focus on big picture in life

big rattler
0
FAMU alumna Mitzi Miller, editor-in-chief of EBONY magazine, delivered the keynote address for the Martin Luther King, Jr. celebration at East Carolina University. She urged the students in attendance to set big goals and prepare to do the work necessary to accomplish them.

From The East Carolinian:

Mitzi Miller, Editor-in-Chief of Ebony, visited East Carolina University to speak for the MLK annual celebration on Tuesday.

She addressed people of the community, students, and staff members about her journey to making her dreams come true. The theme of the event was based on Martin Luther King Jr. having a dream and visualizing it and Miller spoke on making the visualized dream come true.

“One of the most important things is doing what you have to do to get where you need to be,” said Miller at the event. “The bigger picture is the long term goal.”

During her college career at Florida A&M University, Miller started out as biology major but after a few days in the class she realized that was not where she wanted to do with her life.

“I wanted to do something that I loved,” said Miller. “I liked to read so I switched to being an English major with Education as a minor.”

Miller’s senior year in college was when she came down with what she believed to be a really bad case of the flu. After weeks of trying to use home remedies, Miller went to the hospital to find out that she had liver problems and would need a liver transplant as soon as possible because she was dying. For one year and a half, Miller waited for the transplant, which was eventually successful.

“People usually ask me if I regret getting sick. I do not. Getting sick and recovering allowed me to not only be physically here but it is the reason I am mentally here,” said Miller.

Miller stated that during her recovery phase she knew that she wanted to do something that she loved.  She received her first job in sales and marketing at a magazine company, which she stayed at for nine months.

“I hated that job. Then one day my boyfriend at the time asked me, what’s the purpose of all this if you aren’t happy? So I quit the next day,” said Miller.

Miller went on to explain how she was unemployed for six months. She used this time to find herself and take a break from the real world. She wanted to get not only a job, but also a career.

Read the full article here.
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !