FAMU picks up lineman from WSSU

da rattler
5
Josh Newkirk, a defensive line at Winston-Salem State has transfered to FAMU.

Newkirk, who will be a junior in the fall, was a two-year starter for the Rams and the team's No. 3 tackler last season. He started classes at Florida A&M on Wednesday and is the first WSSU starter to transfer.

"They saw what I could do on film, and I decided I wanted to play there," said Newkirk, who was in on 54 tackles and had one sack and an interception in 2009. "I wanted to get out of Winston with all that's happened."

WSSU halted its move to Division I in September, the Rams finished 1-10, and Coach Kermit Blount was relieved of his duties and reassigned within the university. WSSU will stay in Division II and return to the CIAA next season.

"I wanted to play Division I, and that's why I signed with Winston," said Newkirk, a 6-2, 240-pounds. "I'll miss my teammates, especially the ones that were on the D-line with me, but I needed to do this."

Newkirk is eligible to play immediately -- players transferring from Division II to Division I do not have to sit out a season -- and said he expects to compete for a starting job in spring practice.

"FAMU had five defensive linemen graduate," Newkirk said. "So I'll get a shot to show what I can do."

Newkirk, who has a 3.0 grade-point average, said he also likes FAMU's sociology major.

"That attracted me to them as well, and it's something I want to major in," he said. "I'm excited about the move."

Newkirk became a starter at WSSU as a freshman and finished the 2008 season with 48 tackles, 6.5 tackles for losses and three sacks.

The defensive line, WSSU's best unit the last two seasons, could also lose Stephen Young. He's back at WSSU for the spring semester and recovering from shoulder surgery, but he said earlier this week that he is still considering a transfer.

http://www2. journalnow. com/content/ 2010/jan/ 08/lineman- leaves-wssu- for-florida- am/
Tags

Post a Comment

5Comments

  1. Did you mean: "transferred"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome! Best wishes for a smooth and enjoyable transition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's right. Pick at the WSSU carcass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many players transferred from FAMU when we did not move up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We immediately lost a good number of players at the start of the season.

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !