After 19 years at FAMU, Carmen Cummings-Martin announces retirement to care for family

da rattler
1

After nearly two decades as one of FAMU's most recognizable ambassadors to the Tallahassee community, Assistant Vice President for Community Affairs Carmen Cummings-Martin announced Sunday that she is retiring from the university, citing a desire to devote more time to caring for her family.  Her last day with the university is expected to be August 1.


In a heartfelt Facebook post, Cummings-Martin said the decision followed "much prayer and contemplation" and reflected a personal calling rather than professional circumstances.


"Sometimes life dictates a surprising pivot and results in mind-blowing decisions," she wrote. "After much prayer and contemplation, I made the decision to accept the call to focus on another truly major assignment; one that is so dear to me and my family."


Cummings-Martin, who has served the university for 19 years, said that her elderly mother-in-law, Edwina Martin, now requires more of her time and attention.


"Our Queen 'GiGi', needs more of my time, and to me that's worth the sacrifice," she wrote. "Y'all know I don't play when it comes to my faith and family. That's everything to me, and I make no apologies for that."


Her announcement closes a long chapter of public service to FAMU and the broader Tallahassee community.  Cummings-Martin, a 1984 graduate School of Journalism & Graphic Communications, began her career at WCTV-TV as a reporter, before later rising to anchor.  She then moved on to work for US Rep. Allen Boyd, and joined FAMU as Director of Alumni Affairs in 2007.



"I feel so very honored, humbled and blessed for the opportunity to serve my beloved FAMU," she wrote. "But the time has come to bid farewell. Trust me when I say there are no dark clouds gathering on my turf. I only see sprinkles of sunshine on my horizon."


Her message drew an outpouring of congratulations and well wishes from alumni, friends and community leaders, many of whom praised her commitment to the university and applauded her decision to prioritize family. 

Post a Comment

1Comments

  1. Wishing Carmen the best. The timing of this is a little odd, considering what just happened with Atty Self in legal, and the rampant rumors about the Provost.

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !