Scott requests Ammons' suspension, admits having no evidence he did anything wrong

big rattler
0

Gov. Rick Scott called FAMU President James H. Ammons today and asked him to temporarily step aside while the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) continues its investigations into the university. He also recommended that Chairman Solomon L. Badger and the Board of Trustees place Ammons on suspension.

“If I was in his position I’d say, look, I want a, uh, a thorough investigation. I want to make sure everybody feels comfortable that I’m cooperating because I want to come back and continue to build the university,” Scott said.

But when reporters followed up with questions about why Scott felt Ammons needed to take a leave of absence, the governor gave a long string of clumsy answers.

He admitted that he has no evidence that Ammons has acted inappropriately.

“I’ve not seen anything to suggest that he’s done the wrong thing,” Scott said.


A reporter then asked if anyone had told Scott that Ammons was being uncooperative with the investigation.

“You’ve said that no one has said anything to you personally about there being no cooperation. Has anyone said anything to FDLE or your staff about not being able to cooperate?” the reporter asked.

“I have not heard that. No,” Scott said.

Badger has scheduled a Monday telephone meeting for the Board of Trustees.

Ammons released a statement that said in part: "I'm sure that this investigation will determine that under my leadership, the administration acted appropriately. I serve at the pleasure of the FAMU Board of Trustees and I will abide by whatever decision the Board reaches."

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !