Agnew tells FAMU campus that “there’s much more work to do”

big rattler
0
On Thursday, January 15, 2015, Dream Defenders Executive Director Phillip Agnew delivered the keynote address for the university’s Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation. Agnew, a FAMU alumnus, urged the audience to support the fight against the injustice that has continued long after the time of King.

Here is an excerpt from the speech:

This moment is important for me for a number of reasons. But it’s most important because I have the opportunity to tell you that I’ve been to the other side. I’ve seen the darkest of depression. I’ve accepted the American Dream and seen it fall from my fingers. I’ve done everything that everybody told me to do but still found myself in a hole…

Go with me as I once again discover purpose. Go with me as I march 40 miles with students and young people from around the state of Florida in the name of Trayvon Martin. Go with me as we start the Dream Defenders. Go with me as we discover that Florida hasn’t changed much since they snuffed out the life of Martin Lee Anderson. Go with me as I’m invited back to a convocation to tell you that there’s much more work to do…

Go with me as I tell you that I once sat where you sat. I once believed in the trappings of this beautiful environment. But there is much more to this. For beyond our borders we are losing a generation of young people…

So if I can only do one thing this morning, I want to tell you that it’s time to fight back.
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !