Enrollment plunge hurt FAMU’s classroom usage rate

big rattler
15

A recent audit demonstrated yet another lingering effect from FAMU’s enrollment decline between 2005 and 2007.

In April, Florida’s Office of Policy Analysis and Government Accountability (OPPAGA) reported that state universities only used their classrooms 56.1 percent of the time from Monday through Friday. The data covered Spring 2008.

FAMU had the lowest classroom utilization rate, which was 40.3 percent. That’s down from 49.5 percent in Spring 2005 when FAMU was actually ahead of UWF, FAU, and FIU.

The biggest reason for FAMU’s lower classroom usage is its lower enrollment. Back in 2005, Interim President Castell Bryant destroyed the university’s recruitment program and sent enrollment into a nosedive. FAMU fell from 13,070 students in Fall 2004 to 11,567 in Fall 2008.

The current student body is smaller than FAMU’s classroom capacity. In 1997, former President Frederick S. Humphries and then-Provost James Ammons announced their goal of expanding FAMU’s student body to at least 15,000 by 2003. After the Board of Regents approved the plan, FAMU based its classroom building construction on that anticipated number.

When Ammons took over as president in 2007, he recommitted FAMU to getting its enrollment up to 15,000, the number it was supposed to reach years ago.

Another factor behind the low classroom utlization rate is the fact that most FAMU students take smaller course loads when college expenses rise. FAMU's median family income is only $30,000 per year. Pell Grants and financial aid have not kept up with tuition and fee hikes.

The OPPAGA report added that FAMU faces certain physical barriers that hurt its classroom utilization rate. The auditors wrote that many of FAMU’s classrooms “are older and can accommodate a maximum of 35 students.” That means larger classes must meet somewhere else.

The auditors actually complimented the Ammons administration for making more cost-effective use of its classrooms by moving “to larger class sizes and using space not coded as classrooms on the inventory to teach larger groups of students.” They also said that FAMU is among the schools that plan to “renovate some of their smaller classrooms to better match the needs for classroom space.”

Post a Comment

15Comments

  1. The other reason is that students who can afford to get frustrated with the administrative problems, such as financial aid, class registration, etc and they leave and go elsewhere. That seems to get overlooked in every conversation. Top administration is quite competent. Teachers are a reason to go to FAMU--the majority are really great! But when it comes to administrative issues you wonder why you're going to FAMU.

    I graduated long ago and love and support FAMU financially, but I constantly run into current students, graduate and post-graduate that are quick to echo the same sentiment--No customer service or accountability. Put on your walking shoes and just know that it depends on who you talk to as to whether you get straight talk or run in circles. Happens every day and it's bad business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when is this going to stop being Bryant's problem and become the current admin problem. Take the blinders off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6:33 AM, I don't know where you're getting your information from, but I disagree with you. I'm a parent of TWO FAMU graduates and I can tell you that our experiences with Financial Aid, Registrar, and other administrative offices have been very good. Nothing or NO COLLEGE is perfect, but we have always been able to get our request and issues resolved by FAMU's Financial Aid and other offices in a timely manner. I'm sure many of us have ordered white meat and got dark meat or ordered french fries and got rice. Some of us need to take a different approach in dealing with issues. Kindness & professionalism will take you a long ways. That's the way we dealt with FAMU and would come right back to FAMU if we had to do it all over again. The total FAMU experience was absolutely wonderful for my children.

    FAMU is not perfect, but it's the best out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8:29,

    This will probably stop being Castell's problem when the effects of her deeds wear off, in about another 2-3 years. In just 2-years she managed to set this University back by 10 years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @6:33 A.M.

    Then my friend you a one of the lucky to not have had a problem. Anybody that has ever been a student at FAMU knows all about FAMU customer support. I know cause I was a actual student that experience it first hand. I tell any student now use your cell phones to take video, pictures, or voice recordings of any transactions they have with FAMU especially with Financial aid, student accounts, and registers. I still keep hearing from friends about FAMU telling them years after the fact they owe thousands of dollars for tuition when they didn't owe a dime. I had one friend that been graduated from FAMU for years and when he tried to get a transcript they told him oh you haven't graduated you need one more class. Now it's not all the staff fault they are undermanned and the so called computer system that suppose to make their jobs easier are in reality making it harder. FAMU needs to have a third party vendor do a survey on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SEND THE FRUSTRATED STUDENTS TO HAMPTON UNIVERSITY.We'll be glad to accept them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They may get shot at Hampton.

    Don't worry Hampton, it will take an act of Congress to get these students to transfer from FAMU. They talk this noise, but they ain't going nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can’t blame the Financial Aid office for students’ failure to complete a simple financial aid application or failure to get it in on time. Deadlines mean absolutely nothing to some of these students. They expect FAMU to bend the rules just for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, but because I didn't do what I was suppose to , DON'T TREAT ME LIKE I STOLE SOMETHING FROM YOU. GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A MUST. NO EXCUSES.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @2:14pm

    Well I haven't dealt with financial aid in a while THANK GOD. But when I did I go there do what they ask me to do fill out whatever form they say. Then I wait come back when I haven't heard from them in a while and find out I'm suppose to fill another form. My thing is why didn't they tell me that when i was doing the other stuff. Or at least keep me informed on whats going on with my loan. I think the erp system suppose to be doing that now I don't know haven't had to deal with them for a while. Also yes it is probably a lot of students fault for not doing what they suppose to but I they should have on their website a calendar for due dates for things if for nothing else to help cover their butts when students complain..

    ReplyDelete
  11. 12:31pm

    HAMPTON? The land of the Uncle Tom's! Give me a break! If I wanted my child to be trained in the ways of stepin n' fetch I'll send them to dog training school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, it isn't always the fault of th staff but it sure seem to be a STAFF PROBLEM when files seem to get MISPLACED AGAIN AND AGAIN and papers go around in CIRCLES AND CIRCLES and NO ONE wants to take RESPONSIBILITY for their INEPT and INCOMPETENT actions. It starts from the TOP administration and trickles down. If you can't get rid of the inept how can you get rid of the problems?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen @ 8:52am

    ReplyDelete
  14. The problem with FAMU is that its staff is too old, paid too much, related to too many other employees, and lazy.

    They also hire a lot of supid people. You would think an institution of higher learning would demand a higher level of competence from its staff. Though it may just be a problem of not having a very good talent pool to draw from in Tallahassee.

    The teachers are good, the staff is horrible. They need to fire a lot of people, of course, nobody has a backbone to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Christopher Linton9/25/2009 9:51 PM

    I am late to this discussion but I can definitely relate to the admin staff problems. I have been working on a financial aid problem with them for over 3 months with no resolution in sight. Repeatedly I have been told incorrect information and now I don't believe anything anyone tells me. The admin staff problems have impacted my graduate plans and I will not recommend anyone attend this college until they fix things.

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !