Tough experiences led FAMU alum to exercise gun rights

big rattler
4
Robyn Mitchell, a FAMU alumnae and staff writer for the St. Petersburg Times, recently shared her very personal story about her decision to carry a handgun:

In my junior year of college at Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, I had a roommate who never spoke to me. Only by looking at her mail did I know her name. We never interacted.

I spent a lot of time in my room with the door locked. When I went home for Christmas break, I bought a storage unit for my valuables because I was afraid she'd rob me. When I returned, she was gone, and I was living alone for the first time ever. The summer before I moved in, the house next door was invaded, and a girl was killed.

I was terrified.

That was the first time getting a gun ever entered my mind. But I'd never even seen one in person and was sure that 20 was not old enough to buy a gun. Twenty-year-olds aren't even allowed to drink beer, they couldn't possibly get hold of a firearm, right?

But in Florida, you can buy a handgun from a private person or a rifle or shotgun from a licensed dealer at 18. You have to be 21 to get a concealed weapons permit, and gun safety training is mandatory. "Permit holders are held to a different standard," my instructor said.

Continue reading here.
Tags

Post a Comment

4Comments

  1. God created man...
    Smith and Wesson made them equal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hope that she would also consider learning more than marksmanship for personal defense. Pick up a martial art and gain the confidence that comes with it but also the health benefit. Perhaps she would not be so frightened of a bad roommate or for that matter stick around so long. Congrats on taking a this step... now you gotta keep on steppin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of you may want to consider purchasing an assault rifle while you can. If you've watched the national media over the last couple of days, assault weapon sales are way up. Most of the purchasers are whites. Assault weapons are not used to hunt wild game. They are intended to kill people. So, who do you think they intend to use these weapons on???

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !