Essential Theatre's production unpacks the layers and complexities of Black males

da rattler
0

FAMU's Essential Theatre is living up to its name, and proving why it is an essential part of the university community and the Leon County community with its production of Keenan Scott II’s "Thoughts of a Colored Man." The play, which follows the lives of seven black men in Brooklyn over the course of a single day, unpacks the layers and complexities of Black men's experiences.

Audience members have found deep personal connections to the story. "When I watched the play, I immediately thought of my father, my brother, my nephews—so many black men in my life," one viewer shared. "I said, 'This is their story. This is my father's story. I recognize that's my uncle.' The play helps, in a way, to see Black men for who they are and for all that they have been through. People need to know who we are and people need to know all of who we are."

The play challenges one-dimensional perceptions of Black men, showing the full spectrum of their emotions and experiences. "There are so many times where we hear stories about black men, when we see one thing, or people who have never seen the black man or know a black man, they think of them in a certain way," another audience member noted. "But this play shows so many different aspects. A poor black man is who a black man can be."

Unexpectedly emotional, the play has moved viewers to tears. "I did not expect to start crying," one person admitted. "But when you talk about the layers and understanding, this play's seven characters represent emotions that challenge the one-dimensional side of being a black man that is often presented."

The production has sparked important conversations about identity, pain, and healing. "Say things to hurt people because, you know, I'm a child of—I don't wanna ruin it, but I'm hurt. So I'm coming from a hurt place and I'm just perpetuating that. So hurt people hurt people," a character in the play reflects, prompting introspection among the audience.

FAMU's Essential Theatre has not only entertained but also enlightened, showcasing the power of the arts to bridge understanding and empathy. "Thoughts of a Colored Man" is more than a play; it's a mirror reflecting the rich, diverse, and often overlooked facets of Black men's lives, reminding us all of the importance of seeing the full picture.

Thoughts of a Colored Man plays at the Charles Winter Wood Theater at FAMU and runs  through Sunday.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !