Bill Proctor’s Rattler Community Kickoff rocks Southside

big rattler
0
When the event opened the doors at for Leon County Commissioner Bill Proctor’s annual Community Kickoff, there was already a line winding all the way around the building. More than a thousand Rattler fans poured into the event site at the Leon County Fairgrounds to greet new Head Coach Earl Holmes, his staff, and the 2013 edition of the FAMU football team.

In the absence of the Marching 100, which is scheduled to return on September 1st, the Rickards High School Band stepped in to pump up the crowd.  Led by FAMU graduate, Quincy Griffin, himself a former member of the 100, the RHS band performed traditional Rattler favorites that brought the fans to their feet.

The guest list was a virtual “Who’s Who,” of local officials.  Leon County Commission Chairman Nick Maddox, Proctor, Tallahassee City Commissioner Andrew Gillum, State Rep. Alan Williams (D-Tallahassee) Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce CEO Sue Dick, and former Rep. Curtis Richardson were all there to wish the Rattler fans welcome. FAMU

No one was more excited than Proctor.  “It’s great to see everybody here on the south side of town.  We would like to welcome you all to District 1, as we greet our new coaches and players as they prepare to strike in 2013,” Proctor said.

Joe Bullard, the voice of the Marching “100,” presided over the event. FAMU Interim President Larry Robinson gave greetings on behalf of the school and delivered the Rattler Charge. Keith Miles, the voice of Rattler football for over 30 years, had the honor of introducing Holmes to the crowd that was more than ready to hear from him.

Holmes spoke about how his collegiate days on The Hill changed his life.

“Let me say this.  I was born right here on the south side of Tallahassee,” Holmes said. “I found my way to FAMU High.  I felt back then I was playing under Bragg stadium.  After that I walked on at FAMU.  I had a chance to go to any college in the country, but my mom (Addie) told me her money was going to FAMU, so I made the most of that.  I played four years and had a successful career playing in Bragg stadium.  After 10 years in the NFL, after being drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, I have the unique honor to coach the team so close to my heart.  I know what I was brought here to do.  I understand what is expected and that is to bring the pride of blood, sweat and tears back to FAMU….and we’re ready.”

Bobby Lang, a former assistant coach under the late A.S. “Jake” Gaither and a legendary Rattler track coach, closed the program with words of encouragment.

“Every Saturday at two o’clock, gentlemen you’ve got to be ready to fight,” Lang said. “You’ve got to be ready to give it.  Strike the first blow.”
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !