Florida Times-Union to take in-depth look at FAMU leadership controversies

big rattler
0
The Monday edition of the Florida Times-Union will take an in-depth look at the rough relationship between the FAMU Board of Trustees and its president of nearly 15 months, Elmira Mangum. Reporter Tia Mitchell, a FAMU alumna, said the writing process for the upcoming article was a trying experience.

From “Loving FAMU means telling the truth about its issues” (Friday, July 10, 2015):

On Monday’s front page, there will be an article I wrote about the drama surrounding Florida A&M University President Elmira Mangum just a little over a year into her tenure.

She has made mistakes, but her position is worsened by a terrible relationship with members of the board of trustees and especially its chairman, Rufus Montgomery.

Writing this article was tough and not just because of difficulty getting folks to talk candidly and on the record about what is going on.

No, this article was tough because FAMU means so much to me. I’m an alumna, and the institution means more than the piece of paper proving my 4½ years there resulted in a degree.

I had a friend who graduated from the University of Florida tell me one day that the way I and other FAMU graduates talk about our school was something she had never heard before. There is a love and a connection to the university that she found surprising and endearing.

This friend comes from a family of proud Gators. But she was in awe of the “Rattler spirit” from those, like me, who “bleed orange and green.”

I felt not just a reporter duty, but also a Rattler duty to shed light on what is going on today at my beloved alma mater. It’s troubling.

Read the full story here.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !