FAMU Law student interns with Navy JAG Corps

big rattler
0
By Nadia Felder
Florida A&M University

It’s no secret that securing a government internship can be difficult – even the most talented people often don’t make the cut. Unless, they are presented with a unique opportunity like second-year FAMU law student Ashley Wilson.

Wilson, a Jamaica-native, landed one of the most-difficult to acquire government internships when she was hired for the Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps (JAGs) at the Naval Academy this summer in Annapolis, Maryland.

For eight weeks, she was tasked with assisting the Navy JAGs in all legal research necessary for assignments. As the only intern in the Naval Academy, Wilson learned how to handle all aspects of law from a military perspective including wills, trusts, divorces, contracts, and even criminal cases.

“I am definitely using my memorandum writing skills and research skills,” Wilson said. “I wrote two memos in three weeks and working on another memo this week. I utilize my Westlaw and Lexis accounts to research FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) cases, Federal disclosure cases, Federal employment cases and so much more. I have also done some work on the Federal Tort Claims Act, so Torts has also come in handy.”

And when she wasn’t gaining legal knowledge – she was simply enjoying the view.

“The best part of the internship is definitely the private tours,” said Wilson.

It’s no coincidence that after law school Wilson plans to apply to the Navy JAG Corps’ Student Program (SP), optimistically increasing her chances of one day becoming a Navy JAG.

“I did not think I was going to get the internship but I did and I thank God because it gives me hope for a bright future after graduation,” said Wilson.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Accept !